October 10, 2019
Global Entry for Indian Citizens
The U.S. Global Entry programme has rolled out for the Indian citizens on July 3, 2017 thereby allowing expedited clearance of pre-approved, low risk travellers. Besides Indian citizens, U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents (Green Card holders) and citizens of Colombia, United Kingdom, Germany, Panama, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland and Mexico are eligible for the Global Entry membership. Canadian citizens and residents enrolled in NEXUS (formerly known as frequent traveller program and currently part of Trusted Traveller Program between Canada and the U.S. designed for predetermined travellers to cross the Canada-US border) may also use the Global Entry kiosks. India has become the 11th country whose citizens are eligible to enrol in the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) initiative.
- Global Entry applications must be submitted through the CBP’s Global Online Enrolment System (GOES).
- For a five-year Global Entry membership, the non-refundable fee is USD 100.
- Once the application is approved, the applicant’s interview is conducted by a CBP officer to determine the eligibility of the applicant.
- Upon enrolment, the applicant is also eligible to participate in Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Precheck.
According to the Global Entry programme, applicant must be pre-approved for the initiative. Global Entry is currently available at 53 U.S. airports and 15 pre-clearance locations. On landing at these airports, the applicants proceed to the Global Entry kiosks, present their machine-readable passport or the U.S. permanent resident card, place their fingerprints on the scanner for verification and complete a custom declaration. The kiosk then issues the applicant a transaction receipt and directs the applicant to the baggage claim and the exit.
Benefits of Global Entry:
- No processing lines;
- No paperwork;
- Access to expedited entry benefits in other countries;
- Available at major U.S. airports;
- Reduced wait times;
- TSA Precheck Eligibility amongst others.
CBP is essentially transforming the international arrivals process, thereby making it easier, secure and efficient for millions of Indian citizens visiting the United States each year. Any violation of the program’s terms and conditions will result in appropriate enforcement action and revocation of the applicant’s membership privileges.
Pradnya Sawant, Legal Assistant